Constipation Symptoms, Remedy, Relief
Constipation is a condition of the digestive system in which a person (or animal) experiences hard feces that are difficult to expel. With today’s increasingly hectic lifestyles, not only do our minds take a beating thanks to stress levels and the constant need to be better than the rest, but our bodies suffer too. In addition, irregular eating habits and unhealthy diet on snacks, fast-food and crazy working hours compound the digestive problems.
Constipation varies from irregular stools (which should not necessarily be a cause to worry) to difficulty in passing stools (which can be uncomfortable and even painful at times). Constipation is the commonest complaint in elderly people, affecting seven out of every ten persons.
Any idea what causes constipation?
- Faulty styles of living and wrong diet
- Refined foods, meat, excess tea and coffee
- Insufficient chewing and less intake of water
- Use of purgatives
- Lack of exercise
- Stress and strain
- Irregular habit of defecation
- Weaknesses of abdominal muscles are other factors
- Certain medical conditions also lead to constipation
Beware of the Constipation symptoms:
- Difficulty in elimination of the hard faecal matter
- Cramping in a lower abdomen
- Mouth ulcer,
- Bad breath,
- Coated tongue,
- Dullness on skin..
Constipation relief and remedy at home
- Drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day.
- Apples are very beneficial. Eat two apples every day.
- The simplest home remedy for constipation is to drink a glass of lemon juice with a pinch of salt in it.
- Papaya and guava are also useful. It provides good roughage and clears your bowel system and prevents constipation.
- You can also take warm lime water early in the morning.
- Grapes have laxative properties and prevent chronic constipation. Dry grapes are highly helpful. Soak dry grapes in a vessel overnight and take at early morning on empty stomach.
- Another common remedy for constipation is flax seeds. They have laxative properties. Add one tablespoon of flax seed in a glass of water and leave it for 2-3 hours. Drink the flax seed water before sleep. You will have a clear bowel the next day.
- Oranges are also beneficial for colons. Take orange juice at anytime of the day. It will clean your bowel system.
- Spinach taken raw or cooked is very beneficial in clearing bowel system, digestive tracks, and many other diseases. Raw juice of spinach prevents and cures even the chronic constipation.
- Figs are very useful home remedy for constipation. Soak dry figs in water and keep it overnight. Take this early in the morning. It prevents constipation.
- Abdominal exercise, yoga, massage, toning up the muscles, fresh air, walking, and swimming are helpful.
Constipation: Diet and habits
- Take plenty of green vegetables and fibrous food regularly along with fruits/juices
- Take more breads and less rice
- Use whole meal flour; avoid refined ones
- Avoid fried items like pizza
- Above all, drink a glass of water in the morning
- Do some abdominal exercises
- Try to establish regular bowel habits and always answer nature’s calls promptly
- Avoid excessive intake of tea & coffee
- Reduce smoking / drinking
- Avoid anxiety and worry